About 3 kms from the city of Castelo Branco, in a place of pleasant natural beauty, stands an imposing hill of quartzite formation, with dense endogenous vegetation.
From the head, you can see around the entire plain of the Tagus Valley and, on the west side, stands the city of Castelo Branco.
Everywhere, at the base and on the hill of S. Martinho, traces emerge from a distant past not only of the Roman presence in the region, but also marks of a prehistoric past.
Francisco Tavares Proença Júnior was the first archaeologist to take an interest in the origins of the city of Castelo Branco and, in autumn 1903, the well-known archaeologist started a series of excavations at the site, discovering three epigraphed steeds from the Bronze Age.
Monte de S. Martinho is inserted in the so-called "Archaeological Triangle of Castelo Branco" that encompasses the area between the chapels of Srª de Mércoles, Santa Ana and the aforementioned hill.
Fountain Town Hall of Castelo Branco ( Heritage )